It should not come as a surprise to you to know that majority of internet security scams are conducted through emails. Everyone is susceptible in this respect because everyone has to use emails for personal and professional communications. It is a great mistake to think that since you will not be attacked, therefore you can afford to be careless with your emails. Presented here are the seven email security tips that you should keep in mind.
- Periodically change your password and create a strong password: The first step is to create a strong password. Use a combination of letters and alphanumeric characters to create your password. Also, do not forget to periodically change your password. Keeping the same password for different websites is also not reasonable. Imagine the delight of the hacker who cracks one password to find that the same password can be used to hack your other accounts too. To prevent the hacker from being happy, you should never discuss your password with anyone or send it across emails or text messages. The safety of your password is in your hand and make sure that you are doing everything possible to maintain its sanctity. Using your name as a password is definitely not a good idea.
- Never click on attachments or links from unknown emails: you should be extremely careful in clicking unsolicited links or attachments in your email. This is very important. Unless you are absolutely sure of the credibility of the sender sending the attachment or the link, do not click it. You will find that sometimes hackers impersonate your bank or international agencies and ask for your password. Make sure that you do not fall for this trap. Nobody ever asks your password, not even your bank.
- Do not fall in the lure of easy money: Many hacking attacks promise you a huge reward if you are sharing your bank account details with them. Remember that there is nothing called easy money or a sudden lottery. You simply do not earn money like that. You have to work hard to earn your bread.
- Do not respond to emails in the spam folder: If you have emails in your spam folder, do not click on them unless you are absolutely sure that the email has reached the spam folder by mistake. There is a reason why the emails have been marked as spam.
- Do not use cyber cafes: Try to avoid opening your emails from a cyber cafe. In case you are compelled to do so, then you should make sure that after you have done your act, you are deleting the browsing history from the browser. You can be easy target for hackers if you are using the public internet cafes.
- Do not use public wi fi: Apart from not using cyber cafes, make it a point to not use public wi fi as well. Public wi fi can be extremely insecure because of the network sniffer programs which can conveniently steal your user name and password.
- Use good antivirus and antimalware programs: There are several good antivirus and antimalware programs available. Make sure that you are using the best services to offer extra protection to your system, whether you are browsing through a mobile device or a laptop.
- Encrypt Your Email: Email Encryption is something enterprise companies do but it is suggested for individuals too, its like using services like SSLPOST which would help your to encrypt your email delivery so that it cannot be traversed when in process of delivery, ENterprise companies like SAP are using SSLPOST to encrypt there day to day email commmunication