Whether you are a professional blogger or just an amateur stating out in the world of internet, one cannot disagree to the fact that YouTube marketing or video marketing is growing at a rapid pace. With penguin updates affecting millions of users worldwide, the old fashioned methods of promoting and optimizing your content is no longer working as it used to be few years ago. In order to jump into the world of YouTube one must understand the factors that separate the YouTube stars form those long lost channels that hardly get any views. In this post I am going to cover some of the points that you need to take care of in order to start your YouTube journey in the right direction. Without further due let’s get started.
Why should you listen to me?
The first question that comes to your mind is who the heck am I and why should you listen to my advice. Well, let’s start by saying I am using YouTube for over 3 years now and have posted more than 70 videos. I have a total viewership of over 340,000. In the course of my YouTube journey I learned the art of converting Youtubers into real world customers for your business and how exactly one can convert their YouTube traffic to their blog. My channel Price N Fees: Tech TV, has been mentioned by popular Youtubers like Chris Pirillo. Well, I hope I have given you fair reason for following my advices. Throughout my career I have perfected the art of presentation and delivering content that interests others.
Where to start?
If you have been thing YouTube videos and wondered how you fans upload your own and share them with the rest of the world then first and foremost you need to create a YouTube Account. You can simply sign in with your existing Google account and you are all set.
On the top right hand corner you will now see a menu bar that reads “My Videos”. Upon clicking you can visit your channel, dashboard and other account settings. The most important step while you are signing up is choosing the right name for your channel. Based on different scenarios here are some predictions for choosing the proper channel name:
- if you are a personal speaker, vlogger or a success coach kind of a guy then go for your personal name as the channel name. You can add some suffix to it like rahulmarketing or rahulfishvids (for let’s say a channel covering fishing videos).
- If you have a website or a blog and you want to create an official YouTube channel then strictly choose your brand name.
- Another variation which I am seeing lately and this applies to guys who have some sort of a background experience in Internet Marketing is that, they are creating their own personalized brand in YouTube and promoting their channel as an associate brand on their website. That is exactly what I do for my channel as well but I would recommend you not to start out in I’d pattern unless you have a firm marketing strategy for your online ventures.
I have a channel. How to brand it?
Banding a channel is one of the most crucial steps to be successful in YouTube. Once you have found a suitable brand name, you must immediately start making a logo and a YouTube background for your channel. Think of it like the television industry where you can clearly distinguish BBC News from CNN because of their signature layout on your screen. If your YouTube channel is a part of your website then I believe you will already have a logo for it. When designing the channel background make sure that it is not too abstract and you balance design with key hotspots for information. The objective should be to design a banner that explains your purpose in YouTube instantly.
Branding also extends beyond your channel page. Each and every video that you post must be an extension of your YouTube brand image. I always prefer using a semi-transparent logo on the lower left hand side of the screen. Some people also users an intro and another extro that is common for all their videos. Branding I’d something that you will not master overnight but comes with practice and experimentation.
Softwares required from Day1
Whenever we watch a YouTube video we are often engaged to the ones that are presented in a professional manner. In order to enhance your stock footage there are a few Softwares one needs to know. Now I am not telling that you have to be a pro-filmmaker or editor but it is always advisable to gain the basic knowledge.
1. Camtesia Studio – Camtesia studio is the industry standard for recording and editing screencast. If you are planning to make a lot of educational tutorials then this software is a must have. It not only allows you to record the screen but also renders the video optimized for YouTube. You can do basic editing like zoom, pan, adding an image etc.
2. Windows Movie maker – This video editor comes by default with the windows live package. It is extremely easy to use and you can add traditions, images, play with audio video positioning etc.
3. Adobe Premiere Elements 9 – The premiere elements video editor is a little advanced but once you master its super easy interface then you can really enhance your final production to a whole new level. This software touches all the features for basic and intermediate level video editing and also provides you with some cool presets.
NOTE: If you are really serious about making some of the best productions and bring forth that “wow” factor with all your videos.
The right camera
A lot has been written about the right camera one should use for starting a successful YouTube career. For a starter I would recommend the Kodak zi8 simply because of its portability and ease of use. For a novice any camcorder that outputs in mp4 format and one that comes with an external microphone can do the job. Good camera needs appropriate lighting if you wanna make your videos look professional. You should worry more about lighting and other general tweaks when you have already submitted a few videos. Since this post primarily spoke about the right start in YouTube, I am going to cover some advanced topics in later posts.
The world of YouTube and video marketing can be very exciting especially once a video goes viral. Keep trying, keep experimenting till your perfect that personal touch in your channel. You must plan each and every video and make sure that you maintain a consistency with your video publishing. I covered almost every topic in this poet for a newbie but if you are still having any doubts or questions feel free to ask in the comments section below.
For Further Reading: How to be a Successful YouTube Partner in 2012
This is a guest post by Rahul who blogs at Price N Fees.