Advantages of Ecommerce
E-commerce continues to change the way people shop. In such an increasing basis, customers turn to the World Wide Web to research a product or service to purchase. In a 2007 survey by the Pew American Life & Internet Project, nearly 50% of Americans are ordering products online while 70% conducts product-based research on the internet.
The advantages of ecommerce are not just limited to customers. Retailers also benefit so much from it when selling online. With ecommerce, customers can shop anytime in a store that doesn’t need live salespersons.
- Creates a particular niche for products to purchase. Sellers and buyers of niche products find it tricky to locate them in the real shopping world. In ecommerce however, it only takes a matter of minutes or even seconds for the customer to find a product via search engine portals. An example is the purchasing of obsolete parts. So instead of scrapping out old equipment from insufficient spares, people can now find new parts online.
- It has a way to overcome geographical limitations. If you own a real store, you are apparently limited to the geographical area you’re serving. With the use of ecommerce sites, the world becomes your playground. In addition, ecommerce applications for mobile devices have been dissolved to control limitations regarding geography.
- Creates an effective targeted communication. With the information that the customer provides during registration while enabling cookies at the same time, ecommerce merchants will gain more access to information about its customers. Hence, this can be used as a vehicle for exchanging relevant messages. Here’s an example: If you’re finding for a particular product in eBay, you’ll be automatically presented with listings of its similar products.
- It is available 24/7. Ecommerce websites runs for 24 hours, 7 days a week – and that’s non-stop! From a typical ecommerce merchant’s perspective, a store that is always open is more convenient and accessible to people.
- Enables group-buying, coupons, deals and bargains. In online shopping, these purchasing methods are believed to be more convenient. For instances that a customer has a discount coupon for turkey acquired from a real store and a handkerchief for another, he or she may find it infeasible to avail discounts from both. On the other hand, the customer can do that with just a few clicks.
- Generates sales boost. Due to its growing popularity, the capacity for providing ecommerce has become one of the ways for many companies to stay competitive. Furthermore, customers go for companies offering the most convenient online shopping experience they’ll never regret.
Assuming you want to find more about electronic commerce go to ecommerce.about.com where my friend Ajeet Khurana presents you with fresh ideas. It has many articles, for e.g., benefits of e-commerce with SSL.